To Wednesday, September 27, 2017 - 04:00pm
Whether you’re looking for a refresher on the fundamentals or hoping to expand your knowledge, our IRA workshops will provide you with the tools you need to guide your members through their retirement savings journey!
Join the Association for one or both days of these informative workshops. We’ll cover IRA Essentials on day one, and explore more complex situations in IRA Advanced on day two.
New York Credit Union Association
1021 Watervliet-Shaker Road
Albany, NY 12205
IRA Essentials gives attendees a solid foundation of IRA knowledge. Exercises are included throughout the day to help participants apply information to job-related situations. Attendees will leave this session able to work with IRA owners and process basic IRA transactions with confidence. This is a beginner’s session; no previous IRA knowledge is assumed. Attendees should bring a hand-held calculator.
Introduction and Establishing IRAs
- Identify the tax differences of a Traditional and Roth IRA
- Examine the process for establishing an IRA and the required documents
- Differentiate between the types of beneficiaries
- Learn about the Traditional and Roth IRA eligibility requirements
- Identify the contribution limit and deadline
- Communicate contribution reporting deadlines
- Identify federal income tax withholding requirements
- Examine IRS penalties and penalty exceptions
- Summarize the tax consequences of IRA distributions
- Communicate distribution reporting deadlines
- Differentiate between a rollover and a transfer
- Recognize rollovers between IRAs and employer- sponsored retirement plans
Advanced IRAs builds on the attendees' basic IRA knowledge to address some of the more complex IRA issues that their financial organizations may handle. This is an advanced session; previous IRA knowledge is assumed. The instructor uses real-world exercises to help participants apply information to job-related situations.
- Explain recent changes affecting IRA owners
- Discuss the 2017 Roth modified adjusted gross income limits
- Recognize how recent changes may affect your financial organization
Required Minimum Distributions
- Calculate a required minimum distribution (RMD)
- Discuss the RMD rules and reporting requirements
- Describe beneficiary options
- Recognize the difference for spouse, nonspouse, and nonperson beneficiaries
- Explain beneficiary payment deadlines
- Summarize the restrictions on the movement between IRAs
- Recognize the options available when moving from an employer-sponsored retirement plan to an IRA
- Explain the result of violating the portability restrictions
Roth IRA Conversion Contributions
- Describe a conversion
- Explain the effect of withholding on a conversion
- Report a conversion
- Define the consequences of an ineligible conversion
IRA Owner Tax Forms and You
- Determine which tax forms an IRA owner must complete when certain IRA activity occurs
- Understand which IRS penalty taxes may apply to IRA owners
$349 Full Registration
$199 Daily Registration
Registration Deadline: Tuesday, September 12
Mike Glover is a Technical Consultant with the ERISA Technical Support department at Ascensus. Mr. Glover assists clients with technical compliance questions through the 800 Consulting Service. He instructs Ascensus' webinars and various Ascensus-sponsored seminars nationwide. Mr. Glover lends technical expertise regarding Traditional and Roth IRAs, Coverdell education savings accounts, health savings accounts, and various employer-sponsored retirement plans, such as SEP and SIMPLE IRA plans. He also participates in technical reviews and assists in updating Ascensus forms, documents, and publications.
Mr. Glover has received the designation of Certified IRA Services Professional (CISP) from the Institute of Certified Bankers. He has been with Ascensus since 2006 as an Account Executive with the Ascensus Plan Services Group (PSG) and as a Regional Sales Consultant with the Ascensus Retirement Products and Solutions group (RPS) prior to joining Ascensus' ERISA Technical Support department.
A refund of the amount paid, less an $70 administrative fee per registrant, will be given for all cancellations submitted via email to email@example.com ten or more business days prior to the start of the session. No refunds will be granted if the cancellation is received after that time frame. Substitutes will be accepted any time prior to the start of the program at no additional cost. Simply email an updated registration form, listing the new participant and who they will be replacing.