Which regulations apply to commercial loans? What if a loan is secured by real estate? Are there exceptions when real estate is taken as an “abundance of caution”? Do your commercial lenders and support staff understand the data collection required for HMDA-reportable applications? Is a written application required for a business-purpose loan? Can examiners assess civil money penalties for violations? Attend this webinar to learn the commercial loan application process step-by-step (including real-life examples that illustrate the regulations in easy-to-understand terms) and assure examiners that your commercial lenders have received current compliance training.
- Overview of commercial loan compliance hot spots, including fair housing, Regulation B, Flood Disaster Protection Act, Fair Credit Reporting Act, accommodation loans, HMDA, and insider lending
- High-level review of BSA requirements, including the new Beneficial Ownership Requirements for Legal Entity Customers effective May 11, 2018
- How to determine whether the application is for business or consumer purposes
- Compliance requirements when real estate is taken as collateral
- Compliance with Regulation B appraisal rules on loan applications secured by a first lien on 1-4 family dwellings (no business-purpose exception)
- Common commercial loan violations when real estate has been taken as collateral
- Overview of HMDA requirements and changes to business-purpose loans for the rules effective January 1, 2018 (important exemptions for agricultural-purpose loan applications)
- Flood insurance challenges with commercial buildings and collateral, including new rules for “detached structure on residential property” with a commercial purpose
- TAKE-AWAY TOOLKIT
- Matrix of 28 loan types; required disclosures for both consumer and commercial loans with explanations about real-estate-secured loans
- Outline of compliance regulations that apply to commercial credit and rule exemptions
- Commercial loan application template
- Employee training log
- Quiz you can administer to measure staff learning and a separate answer key
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
This informative session will provide a greater understanding of commercial loan applications, including real-estate-secured loans. It will benefit loan officers, loan assistants, loan operations staff, compliance officers, auditors, and trainers.
SPEAKER: Susan Costonis, Compliance Consulting and Training for Financial Institutions
Susan Costonis is a compliance consultant and trainer. She specializes in compliance management along with deposit and lending regulatory training. Most of her 35-year career was spent as a banker in several areas including lending, loan administration, electronic banking, and compliance risk management.
Susan has successfully managed compliance programs and exams for institutions that ranged from a community bank to large multi-state bank holding companies. She has been a compliance officer for institutions supervised by the OCC, FDIC, and Federal Reserve. Susan has been a Certified Regulatory Compliance Manager since 1998, completed the ABA Graduate Compliance School, and graduated from the University of Akron and the Graduate Banking School of the University of Colorado. She regularly presents to financial institution audiences in several states and “translates” complex regulations into simple concepts by using humor and real-life examples.