Do you take real estate as collateral for commercial loans? If so, you must comply with a variety of related regulations or risk civil money penalties. Join us to learn how to stay above the fray.
AFTER THIS WEBINAR YOU’LL BE ABLE TO:
- Understand and avoid commercial loan violation hot spots, including fair housing, Regulation B, Flood Disaster Protection Act, Fair Credit Reporting Act, accommodation loans, HMDA, and insider lending
- Use toolkit resources to comply with requirements when real estate is taken as collateral, including the Reg B appraisal copy rules on first-lien 1-4 family dwellings
- Correctly identify “detached structure” coverage for flood insurance
- Explain documentation requirements for beneficial ownership rules to legal entity loan applicants and complete the required certification process
- Distinguish between business- and consumer-purpose loan requests
- Comply with the HMDA requirements for business-purpose loans
Which regulations apply to commercial loans? What if a loan is secured by real estate? Are there exceptions when real estate is taken as “an abundance of caution”? Can examiners assess civil money penalties for violations? Do your commercial lenders and support staff understand the data collection required for HMDA-reportable applications? Is a written application required for a business-purpose loan? Join us to learn the answers to these questions and more. Real-life examples will be used to demonstrate how regulations apply during the commercial loan application process.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
This informative session will benefit loan officers, loan assistants, loan operations staff, compliance officers, auditors, and trainers.
- Matrix of 28 loan types and required disclosures for both consumer and commercial loans with explanations about real estate-secured loans
- Guide that outlines which compliance regulations apply to commercial credit and the exemptions for certain rules
- Commercial loan application template
- Employee training log
- Interactive quiz
SPEAKER: Susan Costonis, Compliance Consulting and Training for Financial Institutions
Susan Costonis is a compliance consultant and trainer. She specializes in compliance management along with deposit and lending regulatory training. Most of her 35-year career was spent as a banker in several areas including lending, loan administration, electronic banking, and compliance risk management.
Susan has successfully managed compliance programs and exams for institutions that ranged from a community bank to large multi-state bank holding companies. She has been a compliance officer for institutions supervised by the OCC, FDIC, and Federal Reserve. Susan has been a Certified Regulatory Compliance Manager since 1998, completed the ABA Graduate Compliance School, and graduated from the University of Akron and the Graduate Banking School of the University of Colorado. She regularly presents to financial institution audiences in several states and “translates” complex regulations into simple concepts by using humor and real-life examples.