Imagine yourself being served with a subpoena or summons and handling it with aplomb and confidence. If that scenario is more dream than reality, this is the webinar for you! Legal processes, garnishments, and levies don’t have to be intimidating. Learn the ins and outs of how to compliantly address each issue.
AFTER THIS WEBINAR YOU’LL BE ABLE TO:
- Comply with the financial privacy restrictions when responding to subpoenas and summonses
- Explain your institution’s legal responsibilities in processing garnishments and levies
- Understand the special procedures for accounts containing federal benefit payments
- Accurately calculate the amount that must be protected in accounts with federal benefit payments
- Determine whether to attach a joint account or an account held by a trust, sole proprietorship, corporation, or other entity
- Timely notify accountholders when required
Has your institution implemented proper procedures for handling subpoenas, summonses, garnishments, and levies? Although these complicated legal documents are part of the daily fabric, many staff members are not properly trained to handle them – thus exposing the institution to significant liability. This webinar will explain these legal processes and the situations in which they can be served on your institution. It will describe proper handling, such as determining what information can and can’t be disclosed, identifying accounts, placing account holds, answering interrogatories, notifying the accountholder, and remitting funds. The special requirements and procedures for accounts that receive federal benefit payments will also be included.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
This informative session will benefit deposit operations personnel, account service representatives, tellers, collectors, compliance personnel, privacy officers, auditors, attorneys, and managers.
- Official guidelines issued by the Department of the Treasury: Garnishment of Accounts Containing Federal Benefit Payments
- Sample accountholder notice form
- Employee training log
- Interactive quiz
SPEAKER: Elizabeth Fast, Spencer Fane LLP
Elizabeth Fast is a partner with Spencer Fane Britt & Browne LLP where she specializes in the representation of financial institutions. Elizabeth is the head of the firm’s training division. She received her law degree from the University of Kansas and her undergraduate degree from Pittsburg State University. In addition, she has a Master of Business Administration degree and she is a Certified Public Accountant. Before joining Spencer Fane, she was General Counsel, Senior Vice President, and Corporate Secretary of a $9 billion bank with more than 130 branches, where she managed all legal, regulatory, and compliance functions.