Credit unions and the financial services industry have become incredibly complex. The board’s role in governing must evolve and keep pace. Should the board’s involvement be limited to the strategic level, or should they provide direct management input? At what point is it appropriate to delegate implementation of strategic initiatives to the CEO? This webinar will provide an overview of strategic board governance and examine best practices. Learn steps that board members can take to stay at the strategic level, while still providing required oversight and fiduciary duties.
- Using feedback tools to maintain fiduciary oversight
- Evolutionary steps that lead to modern, strategic governance
- Basic steps that comprise strategic governance
- Governance spectrum from too strong to too weak and how to maintain balance
- Differentiate between governance policy and operational policy
- TAKE-AWAY TOOLKIT
- Board roles and responsibilities matrix
- Board meeting evaluation form
- Board-as-a-whole survey
- Employee training log
- Quiz you can administer to measure staff learning and a separate answer key
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
This informative session will best suit board members, supervisory committee members, CEOs, and C-suite staff.
SPEAKER: Kevin Smith, TEAM Resources
Kevin Smith is a publisher and a consultant with TEAM Resources, where he oversees the board self-evaluation programs and facilitates strategic planning with credit unions and nonprofits. He has extensive experience in designing and implementing professional development resources to grow leaders within the credit union industry.
For 10 years, Kevin was Director of Volunteer Education at CUNA where he developed and oversaw conference and training events, webinars, print programs, and online courses. During his tenure at CUNA, he created several new programs, including the Volunteer Certification Program, an intensive, competency-based program for boards and supervisory committees.